Each year, at our Conference, the Alaska Historical Society makes a number of awards for work done in the past year on behalf of Alaska history. The Awards Committee of the AHS board would like to have nominations from the membership for one or more of these awards. If you know of someone or an organization deserving consideration for one of the following awards, please forward your nomination in writing to: Michael Hawfield, Awards Committee Chair, at email@example.com by Tuesday, September 1, 2015. Nominations can also be mailed to: AHS, P.O. Box 100299, Anchorage, AK 99510
A quick summary of our annual awards:
• The Evangeline Atwood Award recognizes an individual who has made significant long-term contributions to Alaska state or local history.
• The Elva R. Scott Local Historical Society Award recognizes a community organization for its programs, a special project, or significant recent accomplishment.
• The Historian of the Year Award is given to an Alaska resident for a book published in the past eighteen months with notable new material about Alaska history.
• The Barbara Sweetland Smith Pathfinder Award recognizes work that contributes to the description of resources relating to Alaska history.
• A Contributions to Alaska History Award recognizes notable achievements to the study, understanding, and interpretation of Alaska history.
For more detailed information about the awards, see the Awards page on the AHS website.