Job Announcement: Executive Director, Museums Alaska
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT | Executive Director
The Executive Director is the key leader of Museums Alaska. The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the annual budget, administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization and acts as the organization’s chief advocate and ambassador, representing the organization to donors, partners, and the statewide community, and beyond. Other key duties include program development, grant management, fundraising, volunteer organization, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works in partnership with a hands-on Board in order to fulfill the organization’s mission.
● Responsible for leading Museums Alaska in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
● Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
● Attends all board meetings and works in partnership with the board chair to draft agendas.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Assists in the procurement and management of funds to ensure
the financial health of the organization.
● Responsible for fundraising and developing other revenues necessary to support Museum Alaska’s mission.
● Responsible for the fiscal integrity of Museums Alaska to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and quarterly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
● Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved annual budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
3) Organization Administration and Operations: Works in partnership with the Board to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, services, planning, and community outreach.
● Responsible for implementation of Museums Alaska’s operations and programs that carry out the organization’s annual plan aligned to the approved fiscal budget.
● Responsible for strategic program implementation to ensure that Museums Alaska can successfully fulfill its mission short and long term goals..
● Responsible for the enhancement of Museums Alaska’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with diverse professionals from civic, private, and cultural organizations.
● Serve as Museums Alaska’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the general public.
● Produce and manage Museums Alaska communications, social media, and website. Manage all membership levels, benefits, and grow and develop robust membership programs.
● Partner with the host site and Board to implement the annual statewide conference.
● Assist with the development of the annual report and attend the annual meeting.
● Coordinate and foster online programming with strategic partners.
● Review and approve contracts for programs and services.
● Maintain financial transactions and coordinate with the board Treasurer and consulting accountant on budgets, endowment/investments, and financial records.
● File all state and federal tax reports and licenses.
● Administer Rasmuson Foundation grants, including but not limited to the Collections Management Fund and Art Acquisition Fund grant programs.
● Seek out grant opportunities and lead fundraising efforts in partnership with the board, complying with all grant terms and conditions of grant awards and received.
● Actively participate in Board and committee meetings.
● Provide a central office for Museums Alaska, Inc.
● Other duties as determined in partnership with the Board.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED
● Strong candidates will demonstrate Museum Alaska’s core values of Resourcefulness, Sharing, Innovation, Inclusivity, and Creating Community through a variety of soft skills: collaborative, warm, humble, self-aware, respectful, accountable, approachable, integrity, positive, team player, tactful.
● Experienced and comfortable in working with a Board of Directors.
● High-level strategic thinking and strong administrative skills. Ability to envision and communicate the organization’s strategic future to diverse key stakeholders.
● Ability to successfully generate diverse new revenue streams and improve financial results for long-term sustainability.
● Exceptional organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation that are results-driven.
● Familiar or eager to learn to use a variety of social media platforms as well as QuickBooks, MailChimp, Google Drive, Wild Apricot and GOSmart software.
● Strong financial management skills, including annual budget preparation, analysis, decision making, and reporting.
● Strong work ethic and ability to work independently.
Museums Alaska offers a comprehensive employment package. This is a regular full-time (35-hours), exempt position, with a competitive benefits plan.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position will remain open until filled.
The online link is: https://museumsalaska.org/